Cornbread without buttermilk??? without butter??? without sugar??? It seems impossible, but there is a great cornbread recipe in The Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon. The cornbread is good with jam, and also on top of tamale pie (another recipe in the book). I made some changes in the recipe to make it gluten free for my husband, who has had to avoid wheat all his life.
Here is my version:
Vegan Cornbread
1 cup corn meal (this can also have a couple tablespoons of flax seed meal mixed in)
1 cup corn flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then mix the rest together and put it into the dry ingredients. Pour into 2 small greased loaf pans. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.
I don't know... doesn't it taste like cardboard? I remember the kind we made together a few months ago, and that didn't go over too well :)
ReplyDeleteYes, we left out an ingredient I think. But this recipe is actually quite tasty. Must be all the maple syrup.
ReplyDelete