Sunday, October 30, 2011
Vegan Cookbook Review
The Happy Hervivore by Lindsay S. Nixon is a cookbook with all kinds of recipes. From Vegan Worcestershire sauce to tofu chocolate icing, Lindsay has it all. I tried out her recipes for cornbread, tamale pie, and blue corn chickpea tacos. They were good! There are lots of recipes that call for tofu or seitan or nutritional yeast, which I'm not quite ready to eat yet. The recipes are fairly simple - some are so simple they are more ideas than recipes: like fresh applesauce made from fresh apple slices ground in a food processor, or salad made with "dinosaur" kale and salt. But those are good ideas, and I had not thought of them before. One recipe, the "5-Spice Harmony Bowl" is a lot like what I cook when I'm not using a recipe (minus the spices). Overall, I liked this book because of the wide range of recipes, the simplicity of the recipes, and it has things that I may be able to try someday if I get up the nerve to eat tofu or nutritional yeast. The recipes I tried turned out well. You can see her recipes and try them for yourself on her website, www.happyherbivore.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment